Re: [ft] Do FreeType support "FontLink" which is in MS Windows?

From: mpsuzuki
Subject: Re: [ft] Do FreeType support "FontLink" which is in MS Windows?
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 13:37:13 +0900

On Fri, 25 Mar 2011 12:26:57 +0800
cuiyang <address@hidden> wrote:

>Hi all,I want to use two TTFs ,when one charcode can not be find in the first
>TTF, and then program  can use the second TTF by itself。I know MS Windows have
>this functon by set regedit value 。Set one TTF link to one or more other
>TTFs.Do FreeType have similar function?Or I must implement this logic?
>                                                 Susan

No. FreeType is a library to handle a concrete font
file or a copied memory image. Please do not think
FreeType as a magical libary that lookup a font by
incomplete information like the name of face, a
codepoint of the character etc. The concrete font file
is required.

What you want to do would be in the area of fontconfig
library. It is not so difficult for fontconfig to find
a font file from a system includes a codepoint. However,
fontconfig library does not have a feature to replace
FontLink completely.

Regards,
mpsuzuki