Re: [ft] Bytecode hinter producing bad results, seems to be a regression

From: Vinnie
Subject: Re: [ft] Bytecode hinter producing bad results, seems to be a regression
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2011 18:12:42 -0800 (PST)

> The trickyness is that you are trying to separate hinting
> from rasterizing.  As explained already, the TrueType
> bytecode interpreter and the rasterizer do interact.  It's
> not intended to be handled separately.

I went through the trouble of tweaking my 3rd party library to support
rendering with FreeType...and the result was identical to when I extract the
outlines with FreeType and render things myself! So I guess my font sucks?
Where are the good fonts?

Are there some example fonts with well defined properties floating around that
I can test with?

> Kaiti is a font for Chinese.  Do you need this?

Hmm...I don't know about that, it just got installed along with Photoshop and I
grabbed it out of my Fonts folder and tried it with my code to see how it would
perform with serifs (which I imagine require more hinting work?).

> No, no, no!  The Kaiti font is *not* a TrueType font
> (this is, second-order Bezier curves).  It's an *OpenType font*
> using CFF outlines (this is, third-order Bezier curves), and there
> aren't any bytecode instructions but PS-like hints.

Oh my...why did they make fonts so confusing?