Re: [ft] Existence of Autohinter in the Future ?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] Existence of Autohinter in the Future ?
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 13:23:28 +0100 (CET)

>> I just can repeat: It's not a `problem' at all.
>
> It is from a web design point of view, sure you can use tables to
> arrange things, but when somebody designs webpages she/he has a
> design in mind where menuentries have that textsize, chapter text
> has that textsize and so on.

I strongly disagree.  It's so sad that many, many webdesigners have a
particular resolution and size in mind, and changing this the whole
website becoms illegigle.  For me, this is poor design.  Given the
fact that each web browser renders HTML differently, this is even more
problematic.  Website designers should learn how to correctly handle
such issues.

> It is a good thing that now everbody can use BCI and with Freetype2
> + BCI i get exactly what i want and in the future all the
> distributions will have it enabled.

Well, yes.  However, this is still no excuse for bad web designs.