[ft] Compressing CJK Fonts effectively

From: Matthew Tippett
Subject: [ft] Compressing CJK Fonts effectively
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2010 09:30:46 -0700

Hi,

I am working on an embedded project which requires CJK truetype fonts. Since it is an embedded system, I want to save as much disk space as possible.

The fonts we are using seem to compress to about 70% of their original size - which could save around 13 MB on the ROM image.

I noticed the post in 2002 from David Turner when he completed the gzip support talking about not wanting to encourage stupid choices (like gzip-compressed truetype fonts).

What is the current best practice for managing large CJK fonts in a storage efficient manner?

Matthew