[ft] Question about Hinting

From: nicolas jean
Subject: [ft] Question about Hinting
Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 11:14:00 +0200

Hi everyone,

There is one thing that I can't understand :
If I am right, using true type native hint information is patented by
Apple. So to avoid this problem, Freetype 2 makes an auto-hinter to
compute his own hint information.
I've made an algorithm that reads ttf files and display glyphs using
the Bézier control point. But as you can imagine, for small size, I've
got bad results.

We are finally arriving to the question :

In the FT_GlyphSlotRec struct, I've got information about my glyph
like the outline points but these points are slightly different than
the points I read directly in the file. I think there is a factor
between them and there is more points with Freetype !
So my question is : Does the Freetype interpreter add/move points on
the outline to take care of hint information ? If it's not that, why
have I differences and how can I use/have hint information generated
by the auto-hinter ?

Thanks for reading me (and answering I hope ^^) :)

Nicolas