Re: [ft] Using Unicode with FreeType?

From: mpsuzuki
Subject: Re: [ft] Using Unicode with FreeType?
Date: Sat, 15 May 2010 20:03:32 +0900

Hi,

On Sat, 15 May 2010 05:53:53 -0500
"Infro" <address@hidden> wrote:
>Using arial font, %windir%\fonts\arial.ttf, I've tried to load the Hiragana
>'A' or あ, 0x3042 or 12354d.

>Is there perhaps something I'm missing or not understanding?

Have you checked that arial.ttf includes "あ"?
Unfortunately, freetype2-demos does not provide Win32
tool to view the glyphs in a font. If you don't know
anything appropriate, please try "fontforge" to view
all glyphs in a font file.

The font framework of Microsoft Windows can synthesize
a virtual font object named "Arial" including many many
glyphs that cannot be found in "arial.ttf". So don't think
the name of "font" in the font menu of Windows application
is the name of font "file". It's a name of the font object
synthesized by Microsoft Windows.

Regards,
mpsuzuki