Re: [ft] Font rasterization

From: Moony
Subject: Re: [ft] Font rasterization
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 21:59:48 -0500

As far as Truetype rendering goes, I'm working on a patch to do exactly what you are talking about. For freetype autohint, I think your best bet is slight-hinting. (It does render fonts with slight hinting in the Y direction, which is not desirable to some people, but is more "correct".) Most programs and toolkits respect freetype / fontconfig settings (although there are a notable few). I'm guessing you will be happy once I submit my finalized patch to Freetype's Truetype (native) hinting. It will not do subpixel alignment, which is discussed in the "antigrain" page, but it will do vertical hinting in the Y direction, like MS Cleartype, and slight-hinting in the X direction, like Freetype does already.

I am hoping to get this into Freetype soon... I know that people will have a good time with it, and it will take off. ;)