Re: [ft] anti-aliasing question

From: Dave Calkins
Subject: Re: [ft] anti-aliasing question
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2010 16:21:42 -0500

On 2/5/2010 4:17 PM, Dave Calkins wrote:

You get less blurrier output if you don't do subpixel position of
glyphs.

How do I control whether or not subpixel positioning of the glyphs occurs?
What is the translation component of the transform? If it is non-zero then the
grid fitting won't help against blurriness (since the pixel-aligned
outline will then
be shifted to between pixels, making the rendering all blurry).

-Tor

In tracing into the call to FT_Render_Glyph, it eventually goes into ft_smooth_render_generic.

When it gets here origin is NULL and so FT_Outline_Translate is not called. So I think the answer to your question is that no translation is occurring.

FreeTypeGL is rendering a single glyph using FT_Render_Glyph and then using the resultant gray-scale bitmap to create a 2D GL texture.

I noticed while tracing through ft_smooth_render_generic that FT_CONFIG_OPTION_SUBPIXEL_RENDERING is not defined.

maybe I spoke too soon. Tracing further shows the below. Here, x_shift == 64 and y_shift == 0.

    /* translate outline to render it into the bitmap */
    FT_Outline_Translate( outline, -x_shift, -y_shift );