Re: [ft] problem with "MS Sans Serif" font

From: Dave Calkins
Subject: Re: [ft] problem with "MS Sans Serif" font
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 08:58:40 -0500

Windows bitmap fonts within a single FON file are loaded similarly to
TrueType collections, this is, you can access them with various face
indices.  If you say

   ftdump sserife.fon

you can see this in more detail.  Below you can find what I get on my
GNU/Linux box.

When I use ftdump sserife.font on my system I get the same output as what you sent.

As a corrolary, if you say

    ftview 20 sserife.fon

you won't see anything.  But if you decrease the font size to 11pt,
you should see the first face.  Then press `n' to go to the next face
and increase the font size to 13pt, etc., etc.

What does the "Invalid Pixel Size" indicate?

The below command succeeds and renders the font text.

    ftview 11 sserife.font

The below command fails with invalid pixel size (although on Windows the screen output resolution is 96dpi).

    ftview -r 96 11 sserife.fon

Also the below commands fail with the invalid pixel size as well.

    ftview 10 sserife.fon
    ftview 13 sserife.fon

Even when specifying sizes listed from ftdump I still get the invalid pixel size. For example, 11 which works is not listed in the file.

Also, I'm able to use this font in WordPad, for example, and pick 8, 10, 11, etc. point sizes and it works.