Re: [ft] freetype displays (special) fonts?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] freetype displays (special) fonts?
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 09:28:49 +0200 (CEST)

> in my application i have problems with some fonts, which every
> character displayed as box.  After analyzing the fonts, it seem's
> that freetype can't handle some fonts from Linguist's Software.

How do you come to that conclusion?

> [...]  "We also have an interesting finding: Although Symbol font is
> determined by a symbol bit flag in OS2 table ulCodePageRange1
> combined with a symbol cmap subtable in TTF file, Window seems not
> respecting this rule. Practically, Windows treat any fonts with
> symbol cmap subtable as symbol font (sample TT fonts are MT Extra,
> CityBlueprint, CommercialPi BT, CountryBlueprint, EuroRoman,
> PanRoman, Romantic, SansSerif, SuperFrench, Technic, UniversalMath1
> BT, etc). In the test package, statement "P20" proves this point.

This observation is for Wine, which is at least one level above
FreeType.

> Any ideas, how to handle this fonts with freetype?

Just select a symbol map directly.  I can't see a problem at all.
Please elaborate.  Note that FreeType always try to select a Unicode
cmap by default, but an application can change this whenever
necessary.