Re: [ft] Compiling 64 bit freetype on a mac?

From: mpsuzuki
Subject: Re: [ft] Compiling 64 bit freetype on a mac?
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 20:28:22 +0900

Hi Adam,

I guess you say that you could build libfreetype, but you
could not be sure which architechture the built binary is
for. Although I don't have Macintosh with preinstalled
64bit OSX, I think, default target architechture is 32bit
ppc or i386, as Schmidt wrote.

This is NOT freetype2 specific issue. It's generic issue
for the developers working with "./configure && make &&
make install" on Mac OS X. So docs/INSTALL.MAC does not
mention about it. If you have some favorite document that
describes how to build 64bit binaries on Mac OS X command
line, please let me know. I consider to refer it in
docs/INSTALL.MAC.

Because of the default target architecture is still 32bit,
to build for 64bit architecture via command line, you will
have to add "-arch ppc64" or "-arch x86_64" or "-m64" to
C compiler. Therefore,

        env CC="gcc -arch ppc64" ./configure ...

might be what you expected. After the building process,
please check the target architechture by "file" command.
It will reports the included architectures like this.

        file libfreetype.6.3.dylib

libfreetype.6.3.dylib: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures
libfreetype.6.3.dylib (for architecture ppc):    Mach-O dynamically linked
shared library ppc
libfreetype.6.3.dylib (for architecture i386):   Mach-O dynamically linked
shared library i386

Nothing to say, to use 64bit freetype library, other binaries
should be built for 64bit architecture. If you build other
binaries without "-arch ..." options, please check the binaries
by "file" command. If they are built for 32bit architechture,
building freetype for 64bit architechture is not sufficient.

I wish other binaries you're going to link with 64bit freetype
are already built for 64bit architecture!

Regards,
mpsuzuki