Re: [ft] Combining characters for indian language

From: Ineiev
Subject: Re: [ft] Combining characters for indian language
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 10:08:49 +0400

On 5/14/09, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I need to render indian languages - devanagari , gurmukhi etc. using
>> freetype.
>
> This is not sufficient.  You need a higher-level library like Pango or
> ICU which properly rearranges Indic input, and which handles the
> OpenType tables (GPOS and GSUB) to get proper glyph indices and
> position information.

When I wrote my patches to PCB, at last I provided a way to insert
references to glyph indices into texts (via escape sequencies); I also
added a function to view all glyphs from a font and pick them by hand.
this may be not very convenient when the font contains thousands of
glyphs, but I thought it gives more reproducible results (e.g. I saw
that five years old libraries misrepresented some nagari combinations
like "vi"), which was most important for me.

Just my two kopeeks,
   Ineiev