Re: [ft] Accuracy of generated glyphs in smaller bitmaps

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] Accuracy of generated glyphs in smaller bitmaps
Date: Fri, 01 May 2009 08:10:06 +0200 (CEST)

> We are using Freetype version 2.3.8.  I get the same result whether
> or not I enable the bytecode interpreter. I've also tried
> FT_LOAD_FORCE_AUTOHINT to see if using the autohinter would help.  I
> tried all combinations of gridfitting and grayscale rendering in the
> gasp table (and doing neither).  Also if it means anything, we have
> FT_RASTER_OPTION_ANTI_ALIASING defined.  All of these combinations
> ultimately produced identical results for the 26x26 glpyh.

You get identical results with the bytecode interpreter and the
autohinter?  This is surprising.

> Anyways, I just looked at the characters giving poor results in a
> TTF editor and added 2-4 helper points per character in problematic
> places.  That ended up giving us much better looking letters at
> lower resolutions, so this is more than likely just a bad font
> setup.  I don't know enough about TTF files to know what kind of
> overall impact that would have, adding extra hinters to most
> characters.  Let me know if it's a bad idea to start doing that here
> and there, or if there is something else in Freetype I could be
> missing that would improve the render quality :)

It really depends on the font so I can't say anything specific.
Adding helper points shouldn't do any harm if your TTF editor is smart
enough to rearrange and update all TT hints.  Besides this, it really
isn't important at all HOW you achieve the desired results since you
have the control over the font.