Re: [ft] Please explain pixel modes

From: Mickey Gabel
Subject: Re: [ft] Please explain pixel modes
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 17:14:33 +0200

Robert Dailey wrote:
Yes I've been using the tutorials exclusively. However, I haven't seen it describe the details of pixel coverage. Perhaps I missed it?

So for aliased text, the only two pixel values I should be seeing for gray are black and white, correct? And for anti-aliased text I should see any range of color? So in essence, the bitmap I get back *is* the alpha channel it seems.

Make sure to check the pixel format of the bitmap you get. Certain fonts contain embedded bitmaps with 1 bit per pixel (you get 8 pixels in one byte, each pixel is either fully on or fully off).