[ft] Vert advance on line break

From: Disch
Subject: [ft] Vert advance on line break
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 21:12:52 -0800 (PST)

This is a seemingly simple question, yet the tutorials fail to mention
anything about it, the documentation leaves it unclear, and I've even tried
searching this forum with no success (someone asked the question, then
replied saying they found the answer -- but never said what the answer is).

My quesiton is:  How do I know how much to increase my Y position by for a
new line (line break)?  I tried using [i]face->size->metrics.height[/i], but
this seemed far too steep for some fonts (almost like the font was
double-spaced), and simply doesn't exist at all (is zero) for many, many
fonts such as Courier, which makes it completely useless for me.

So is there a simple way to accomplish this?  It seems strange to me that it
would be so complicated to do something so fundamental.

Thanks in advance!