Re: [ft] Getting Vectors from a TTF font

From: Frederic Kwiatkowski
Subject: Re: [ft] Getting Vectors from a TTF font
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 11:57:42 +0100

In fact I use FT_Vector structure to approximate each char i want to display in a short number of points. Then using these points to display a simplified version of my char.

But sometimes, points extract from the FT_Vector seems to be erronous (ie some points are really out of the outline).
I could use Bézier cuvre but the processor that run Freetype is about an hundred Mhz so i thought that working with FT_Vector would use less CPU that using Bézier curves.

So to summarise, it's better to use the Bezier curve and next to extract points by myself than using the FT_Vector structure?
In this case, why this structure is available via the ouline found in the FT_GlyphSlot structure?

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 11:37 AM, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'm currently trying to extract vectors from TTF fonts with freetype
> (via outline.points[].x or outline.points[].y).  But the problem is
> that sometimes, those vectors give me ugly chars.  Is there any
> possibilty to extract more vectors from the TTF (to increase
> resolution) or must i use bitmap and get vectors by myself?

Vectors?  Most outlines consist of second-order or third-order Bézier
curves, not straight lines.  You can approximate those curves with
straight lines by applying bisection to the Bézier curve until a
certain threshold is reached.