Re: [ft] Acknowledgement of using freetype

From: Ian Britten
Subject: Re: [ft] Acknowledgement of using freetype
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2008 10:07:55 -0300

Werner LEMBERG wrote:

  We will use freetype in our product as binary module.

Thanks.  However, there is a misunderstanding.  You shouldn't send an
acknowledgement to us but acknowledge the FreeType Project in the
documentation of your product.  As written earlier in FTL.TXT:

    o You may not pretend that  you wrote this software.  If you use
      it, or  only parts of it,  in a program,  you must acknowledge
      somewhere  in  your  documentation  that  you  have  used  the
      FreeType code. (`credits')

[ Sorry for the late reply... ]

Hi all (Mostly the FT developers though),

Can I request a clarification of what you expect for this, both in
terms of wording/content, and also what types of "documentation" need
this content?  (Note this is coming from the perspective of a
Commercial product)

Is it enough to include relevant information in some sort of 'credits'
file within the actual installation/distribution?  Or is the end-user
required to actually *see* the credit, implying it would need to be
in the 'About' dialog, or the EULA (Assuming people actually read
those ;) ), or something similar?
What about marketing brochures, websites, etc?  Or is the requirement
only for _users_ (Meaning someone who has actually bought a copy of
the Commercial software)?

Is something like "Built using FreeType2" enough, or does it need
to include purpose/usage, version information, URLs, FT license, etc?

Thanks for any info (And keep up the great work)!
Ian