Re: [ft] Hinting

From: Oliver Bandel
Subject: Re: [ft] Hinting
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 11:32:14 +0100

Hello Werner,

sorry that I must go back one step...

... in the tutorial I found, that
FT_Render_Glyph() gives a anti-aliased result...

================
/* convert to an anti-aliased bitmap */
  error = FT_Render_Glyph( face->glyph, FT_RENDER_MODE_NORMAL );
  if ( error )
    continue;
================
( http://www.freetype.org/freetype2/docs/tutorial/step1.html )

I also found no keyword with "ALIAS" in
http://www.freetype.org/freetype2/docs/reference/ft2-index.html

So... is AA automatic?

I BTW used FT_RENDER_MODE_MONO in my call to
FT_Render_Glyph().

Possibly this also results in less quality bitmaps.

But for non-mono bitmaps I think I have to
convert my bitmap-reader to something different.
(I hope, those bitmaps are also explained somewhere.)

Would you also assume bad quality, when using FT_RENDER_MODE_MONO
as option? Or would you rather think, the problem is jpeg, and I would
not run into ugliness, when using png or gif?

The problem is, that I want to write into pictures, and most of them are
in jpeg. With higher quality-options it looks better, but only,
if the text is not too small.

Possibly a grayscale-rendering would help also in jpeg, because the
contrast is not that high?!

What do you think?

Ciao,
   Oliver