Re: [ft] A couple of problems with 2.3.5

From: Jonathan Blow
Subject: Re: [ft] A couple of problems with 2.3.5
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 21:11:38 -0800

Please try the current CVS and do some debugging of yourself.  Up to
now noone has experienced this problem, and it is next to impossible
to debug this without having a running example.
This application (it's an Xbox 360 game) is rendering text in
multiple languages, but unfortunately, the sizes of different glyphs
are coming out very differently for Asian languages.  In a test with
Japanese, the Latin characters are coming out at the proper sizes,
but the Japanese characters seem to be improperly scaled.  [...]

Using ftview, I can't see any problems with the CVS version.  Again:
please compare the code you are using with the one in the demo
programs.  Otherwise, please write a small stand-alone example which
demonstrates your problem.

I figured out the causes of both problems -- it had to do with commenting out autofit support in the .h file. It sounded optional, and I didn't know what it was (what's a CJK file? Nothing I am using, I think!) and the header made it look optional, but it really isn't. I wonder if this could be made explicit in there (i.e. a note to the effect of, you probably don't really want
to disable this, even though we give you the option to!)