Re: [ft] BDF chars with ENCODING > 65536

From: Joshua Hadley
Subject: Re: [ft] BDF chars with ENCODING > 65536
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 07:43:56 -0800

Werner LEMBERG wrote:

Do you really think that this is of any use today?  There are much
better font formats than BDF, even for bitmaps!

I agree, but sometimes we don't get to choose :-)

My perhaps naïve idea is to change the above to:
       if ( (size_t)p->glyph_enc >= sizeof ( p->have ) * 136 )

And as well modify 'have' of the _bdf_parse_t structure as:
        unsigned long   have[34816];   /* was: have[2048] */

This seems like a sensible starting point, and I invite you to
contribute such changes to FreeType.  Note, however, that this static
extension must be controlled by an #ifdef in ftoption.h and disabled
by default, I think.  Alternatively, you might go a more complicated
route, namely, to replace the static `have' structure with a dynamic
one -- this would be a good idea anyway and could be included without
such an #ifdef guard.

OK. Probably getting in over my head (hence my original post) but I will see what I can do. Given the issue of usefulness in general as discussed above, perhaps this kind of thing is best kept as a private build?

In toying around with this since I first brought it up, I note that simply changing the size of 'have' to [34816] seems sufficient (that is: FreeType will open and display the font data). But as I expressed originally, I'm not sure what else I'd be breaking by doing this.

Thanks a lot, I appreciate your feedback.

Josh