Re: [ft] Noob Unable to get glyph data for MathML fonts

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] Noob Unable to get glyph data for MathML fonts
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2007 08:24:57 +0100 (CET)

> > but when I go after
> > something like math2___.ttf (which has the symbols I need),
> > FT_get_char_index returns zero for all char codes I pass it.
>
> Interesting, you ask this question just when I was about to do so.
> I see the same problem, with the Math[1-5] and Math[1-5]Mono fonts
> as well as MT Extra and a strange OS/2 Type1 font called MARKSYM.

Only very new fonts contain proper Unicode glyph names since the full
Math extension has been only recently added to Unicode.  I thus
suspect that all those fonts have just a symbol cmap (and a second
cmap for Apple).

> Now I also found out that for these fonts, FT_Get_First_Char() gives
> 0, so it thinks that these fonts don't contain glyphs in the
> charmaps...

Well, if this is a symbol font it looks correct.  Windows, for
example, maps the character codes 0x00-0xFF of the symbol font
to positions 0xF000 to 0xF0FF.