[ft] Problem loading OT tables in new Microsoft Sans Serif

From: Dave Williss
Subject: [ft] Problem loading OT tables in new Microsoft Sans Serif
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 10:28:52 -0500

I'm running into a problem loading the GSUB and GPOS tables on the version of Microsoft Sans Serif that ships with Vista.
The font has 5 script groups: arab, cyrl, hebr, latn and thai.
It loads the first group just fine. On the cyrl group though, it goes to load the default LangSys table and comes up with a feature count of 0. Then, because there are no specific languages listed, it gives up and won't load the rest of the GSUB or GPOS tables.

I have the Microsoft extension that gives you extended font information on the Properties pages of fonts and according to it, the cyrl script's default language system has the mark and mkmk features.

I'm stuck at Freetype 1.3 because we can't afford the time to switch from using the OpenType layout routines in Freetype 1.3 to using something like Pango or ICU.

Has anybody else reported problems with this font? or is it an error in the older Freetype?

Dave Williss