Re: [ft] Seeking answers on subpixel rendering

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] Seeking answers on subpixel rendering
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 21:53:18 +0100 (CET)

> Does the bytecode interpreter have anything to do with this kind of
> antialiasing?

Yes.  The Windows system fonts have special instructions to provide
optimal results for subpixel rendering.  However, contrary to the the
ClearType extensions are completely undocumented.  [Well, almost, I've
sent some details to the freetype-devel list already -- but
unfortunately, those `details' raise more questions IMHO than
answers.]

> Could an autohinter produce the quality of antialiasing shown above?

Maybe.  David?