Re: [ft] FT_Get_Kerning

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] FT_Get_Kerning
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 13:33:51 +0100 (CET)

> I've been using freetype to get the kerning pairs of a font.  [...]

Which FreeType version?  I suggest to retry with the current CVS from
FreeType.

> This font was initially OpenType, but I was having trouble gettting
> the pairs I wanted, so I converted it to TrueType - this had the
> same problems, but FT_HAS_KERNING() returned true in this case, so I
> kept the ttf.

Which program have you used for the conversion?  Kern values can be
either stored in the `kern' or in the `GPOS' table.  Maybe the program
has created just a simple `kern' version, holding the complete data in
`GPOS'.  FreeType doesn't handle GPOS at all since this has to be done
by a higher-level library (Pango, for example).

> The problem I'm seeing is that FT_Get_Kerning returns a kern value
> of 0 for the pair í,d, where í is a latin small i with acute
> (0x00ed).  This results in a large gap between the characters.  Word
> and Gimp both seem to have a negative kern to reduce the gap.

Well, do those programs use the OT or TT version?  AFAIK, Gimp uses
FreeType.

> First, is this the correct way of getting the kern info?  Second, if I
> call GetKerningPairs in win32, I get 5973 pairs, even though the font
> has 246 glyphs - I would expect more pairs.

5973 is a quite large number of kerns.  This seems to be the right
value.

In case you still have problems please send me the font privately for
further investigations.