[ft] Speed/Quality adjustments

From: Riede.Edward
Subject: [ft] Speed/Quality adjustments
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 07:45:12 -0800

I have been investigating embedding freetype into one of our platforms, and it looks great, but runs really slow.  I was wondering if there are any adjustments that I could make to the engine to speed it up a bit?  The rendering times on our platform are unbearably slow.   I would like a speed improvement of about x32. (I know it is a lot to ask.)

I am thinking about changing the sub pixel resolution.  Our platform only displays in 16 bit color, so it seems to me that the 64x64 sub-pixel’s/pixel could be reduced.  64x64 would give 4096 units/pixel.  I would think that this could be reduced to 32 units/pixel for the 5 bit component, or 96 units/pixel for lcd rendering.  32 units per pixel would need a 5x5, and 96 would need a 10 x 10.

It seems like this could give me the speed improvements that I need.  Is this possible?

Ed