Re: [ft] How to compile universal freetype on MacOS X 10.4?

From: Russell E Owen
Subject: Re: [ft] How to compile universal freetype on MacOS X 10.4?
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 15:12:11 -0700

At 12:01 AM +0200 2006-09-22, Tor Andersson wrote:
I'm trying to build a universal (ppc and i386) libfreetype 2.1.12 (or
any reasonably recent version) on my PPC Mac (10.4.7 with XCode 2.4). I
can built something, but it's always PPC-only.

I believe that you need to compile twice, once with each -arch flag, to
separate files. Then you merge together the two resulting (i386 and ppc)
dylib files with "lipo".

At least that's how Xcode does it. I do not believe that gcc can compile to both
architectures in the same command, which it looks like you're trying to do.

I suppose that may be necessary for freetype. I hope not, because I don't have easy access to an Intel Mac.

However, if you are making a blanket assertion that having gcc build for both i386 and ppc at the same time doesn't work...that's wrong. The tech note I reference shows how to do it, and it works just fine for libpng.

Also, I know somebody who built a universal libfreetype on his Intel Mac. He claims to have used a similar incantation (and doing it all at once, not building separately and combining) but he doesn't remember the exact details.

-- Russell