Re: [ft] Tweaking/Improving FreeType Antialiasing

From: Tor Andersson
Subject: Re: [ft] Tweaking/Improving FreeType Antialiasing
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 23:16:33 +0200

I'd be very happy with just a custom browser build - say something
KHTML based maybe - that has great font rendering and kerning. It
would make Linux so much nicer to use. OpenOffice, Gnome and a PDF
viewer would be next up on my list for improved font handling. I
don't think it's going to be perfect system-wide, however, if I'm
understanding the limitations properly - but maybe there's at least
room for improvement?

<off topic, shameless plug>

You may want to look into MuPDF. It does not do subpixel color
filtering, but has unhinted, fractionally positioned text rendering,
in a very light package.

http://ccxvii.net/apparition/

Only windows binaries for now (but portable source). Make sure
to get the stable version if you check out the source.

</>