[ft] MT Extra encoding troubles

From: Ben Harper
Subject: [ft] MT Extra encoding troubles
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 15:36:03 +0200

Some of my customers want to use the 'l' symbol from the MT Extra font. If one takes a look at that font in the Windows Character Map tool, it shows up as character 0x6C, which is the ascii code for 'l'. However, if one loads the font in freetype ( 2.1.10), it appears to have two charmaps. The first is APPLE_ROMAN, and the second is MS_SYMBOL. Now neither of these charmaps yields the correct glyph for character code 0x6C (they both yield the .notdef glyph for 0x6C). I don't understand. How does Windows make the connection between 0x6C and that 'l' glyph. I've looked at the embedded glyph names, but they don't seem to be useful.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ben