Re: [ft] Questions about ClearType rendering

From: Roman Shaposhnick
Subject: Re: [ft] Questions about ClearType rendering
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 12:12:05 -0700

On Thu, Jun 29, 2006 at 09:37:24AM +0200, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> > Now, investigating this issue further confirmed that especially
> > with subpixel rendering enabled FreeType seems to generate
> > less pleasing rasterizations (mainly because of excessive "coloring")
> > what's even more interesting was the fact that when I disabled
> > antialiasing on both systems Windows XP still seems to get
> > more glyphs "right" compared to FreeType.
>
> This is beyond FreeType itself.  It's more a question how the data
> delivered by FreeType is filtered to get properly colored text, and
> how the glyphs are positioned on the image grid.  Both things are
> handled one level higher than FreeType.

  First of all -- thanks for the response. Now, that leads to these
  two additional questions:

    1. what would be an ideal application to use for factoring out
    the grid layout issues ? Basically what app makes the best out
    of FreeType rasterization ? Would it be ftview ?

    2. I'm a software developer myself so I'm willing to work
    on Xterm to address the grid positioning issues. Can you
    please provide me with any pointers to how this is supposed
    to be addressed ?

Thanks,
Roman.