Re: [ft] Freetype performance question?

From: mpsuzuki
Subject: Re: [ft] Freetype performance question?
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 09:46:23 +0900

Hi

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 11:34:59 -0700
Michael Sander <address@hidden> wrote:

>Most users of freetype on a X system first use the freetype2 engine to
>render the font to some in-memory bitmap and then use XPutImage to
>render the image to the screen.

"X system's freetype2" is designed by freedesktop.org developers,
not by FreeType developers. FreeType is just a component, so
I'm afraid, there are many slowdown factors out of FreeType.

>Does anyone have any performance benchmarks compared to simple X
>rendering (i.e. XDrawString).

Followings are the threads in some mailing list I know.

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-i18n-list/2003-April/msg00020.html
        (and its following posts)

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-app-devel-list/2003-December/msg00433.html
        (and its following posts)

# anybody knows a comparion of gtk2 vs gtk1 in 2005, by novell guys?
# I've heard about...

>                              I am especially concerned over slow X
>connections. If one is rendering a full screen of text using freetype on
>a slow X connection they have to effectively transfer a full screen
>bitmap image.

I'm afraid the number of freedesktop.org people who care about
remote X and without XRender might be quite limited.

>Has anyone ever tested this or measured the performance hit compared to
>XDrawString?

I've never seen the remote X server rendering benchmark.
BTW, even if you can find that 100 or 1000 times slower,
do you have any idea to solve the problem?

Regards,
mpsuzuki