Re: [ft] What do kerning values mean in RTL text?

From: Paul Pedriana
Subject: Re: [ft] What do kerning values mean in RTL text?
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 22:51:42 -0700

Thanks very much. After I implement this (will be doing both Hebrew and Arabic) I will write up the resulting algorithm with some additional detail.

Thanks

Paul Pedriana a écrit :

I'm trying to understand how kerning is done in RTL text and can't
find any documentation (on the Internet nor in Freetype) that
addresses this.

Questions:
  - Do kerning pairs in RTL refer to two sequential glyphs in logical
order or visual order?

At least for TrueType and Type 1 fonts, it only refers to visual order.
Nelson just wrote
something about TeX which apparently follows the opposite convention,
but I can guarantee
you that it is not followed by other industry-standard formats.

  - If there is a string with the logical order is CAT and a visual
order of TAC,
     do kerning adjustment pairings apply for CA (logical order) or
for AC (visual order)?

you'll need to apply the kernings for (T,A) then (A,C)

  - Given that the RTL layout alrogithm
(http://freetype.sourceforge.net/freetype2/docs/glyphs/glyphs-5.html)
     specifies that advance width of C (from our CAT above) is applied
before the positioning
     and drawing of C, how and when and in what way is a kerning
adjustment applied?

if you write text left-to-right, independent of its logical order, you're
going to do the following:

  prev = -1;
  xpos = 0;
  for ( n=0; n < num_visual_glyphs; n++ )
  {
    gindex = visual_glyphs[n].index;

    if ( prev > 0 )
       xpos += kerning( prev, gindex );

    drawGlyph( gindex, xpos );
    xpos += visual_glyphs[n].advance;

    prev = gindex;
  }

when writing right-to-left text, you can do the following, which results
in the same glyph positions, justified to the right:

  prev = -1;
  xpos = width;
  for ( n=num_visual_glyphs-1; n >= 0; n-- )
  {
     gindex = visual_glyphs[n].index;

     xpos   -= visual_glyphs[n].advance;
     if ( prev > 0 )
         xpos -= kerning( gindex, prev );

     drawGlyph( gindex, xpos );
     prev = gindex;
   }

to better understand why, here's an example with two glyphs,
named 'L' (for left) and 'R' (for right):

left-to-right text:
     L.x = 0
     R.x = L.advance + kerning(L,R)
     xpos.final = L.advance + R.advance + kerning(L,R)

     xpos.final - xpos.start = L.advance + R.advance + kerning(L,R)

right-to-left text:
     R.x = width - R.advance
     L.x = width - R.advance - L.advance - kerning(L,R)
     xpos.final = L.x
     xpos.final - xpos.start = -(L.advance + R.advance + kerning(L,R))

     L.x - xpos.final = 0
     R.x - xpos.final = L.advance + kerning(L,R)

Hope this helps,

- David