Re: [ft] Opentype kerning pairs

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] Opentype kerning pairs
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 15:38:18 +0200 (CEST)

> Hi - I'd like to extract kerning pair information from an opentype
> font.  FT_HAS_KERNING returns false.

Note that you should use FreeType 2.2.1 because in some older versions
FT_HAS_KERNING works incorrectly.

> I assume, from reading around, this is because freetype doesn't
> support the opentype layout tables.  Am I right?

Probably.  Kerning realized with a `GPOS' table isn't supported by
FreeType.

> If so, what would be the easiest way to get this data?

It really depends.  The `easiest' route (w.r.t. code size) is probably
to extract the GPOS and GDEF tables directly and parse it by yourself
-- you might have a look at the otvalid module which assists in
verification of this table.

Note that the above approach gets quite complicated if your font
supports more sophisticated layouts or has unusual typographic
features.

> have seen Pango mentioned...

Qt and ICU can do this too.