Re: [ft] Glyph hinting problem with TT hinter

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] Glyph hinting problem with TT hinter
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 07:08:10 +0200 (CEST)

> The size is 20 pixels.  This can be easily seen in the ftview
> demo. Set resolution 72 dpi, size 20 points, font Arial Unicode MS
> Check the letter W. The middle is asymmetric which is noticeable
> when there are several W in a row

Indeed, this is a really noticeable artifact.  Unfortunately, I don't
have Arial Unicode MS, and my other Arial fonts don't exhibit this
problem.

> > most of those artifacts are `bugs' (yes, bugs) in the Windows
> > rendering engine which does some weird rounding, probably due to
> > some legacy code...
>
> On the contrary, Windows GDI draws that glyph correctly for exactly
> the same size.

Believe it or not, the `bug' is that Windows renders it correctly!
I'm not saying that your `W' shape issue is such a problem -- I have
to analyze it first -- but some pixel dropouts in other glyphs and
fonts definitely are.  This has been discussed on the FreeType lists;
please search the mailing list archive.

> The geometry and bitmap returned by the freetype has artifacts
> (asymmetric).

David, can you have a look?  Otherwise I need the font for inspection.
Please send it to me (or make it privately downloadable for me) --
starting with April 1st I've unlimited internet access again.