Re: [ft] Creating an [OT]TF font from BDF font

From: Keith Packard
Subject: Re: [ft] Creating an [OT]TF font from BDF font
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 16:33:45 -0800

On Wed, 2005-12-14 at 22:16 +0100, David Turner wrote:

> I'd like to know the following:
>
> - is this feature useful for fontconfig / libXft ? Or should we yank
> it from
>   FreeType ?

It's not terribly useful for fontconfig or libXft, where it is useful is
in converting sfnt back into BDF files in case you want to take a font
and use it with old non-TTF supporting X servers.

> - I don't understand completely the difference between atoms and
> non-property
>   strings. Aren't these the same things ? Why distinguish them then ?

All I care about is regenerating a matching BDF file; I'd like to see
whatever it takes to preserve every aspect of the original font files.

-keith