Re: [ft] antialias question

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] antialias question
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 08:28:14 +0100 (CET)

> found this online:
>
> <match target="font">
> </match>
>

> wondered what it means:
> antialias = antialias in generell ?
> hinting = bytecode interpreter ?
> autohing = autohinter ?

I can't tell you what it means in general, only for FreeType.

  . Activating anti-aliasing means that the output buffer has
    (normally) 8bit per pixel, creating a grayscaled image.  Otherwise
    it has 1bit per pixel, and you get monochrome output.

  . `Hinting' means that glyphs are hinted.  If there is a native
    hinter (either for TT or for PS), use it.  Otherwise the
    autohinter is used.

  . `Autohint' means that always the autohinter is used (if the
    `Hinting' flag is set), and never the native hinting engine.