Re: [ft] Creating an [OT]TF font from BDF font

From: Keith Packard
Subject: Re: [ft] Creating an [OT]TF font from BDF font
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 10:50:06 -0800

On Thu, 2005-12-08 at 09:26 -0700, Mark Leisher wrote:
> Being lazy, I'm asking here before actually looking around. Can anyone
> recommend programs that create [OT]TF fonts from BDF fonts?

Juliusz wrote fonttosfnt which combines multiple BDF sizes into a single
SFNT.  It's in CVS at freedesktop.org in the xapps module

$ cvs -d :pserver:address@hidden:/cvs/xapps co fonttosfnt

should do the trick. It's reasonably functional, the plan was to use it
to eliminate BDF/PCF fonts from the X distribution and ship only TTF
files. That's been stalled for a couple of years as we need to preserve
all of the mystic BDF properties, and be able to regenerate BDF fonts as
needed (BDF being the only X standard for font distribution).

-keith