[ft] Oversized "O"

From: Hanno Mueller
Subject: [ft] Oversized "O"
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 14:58:45 +0200

Hi,

I'm using the xorg x-servers on Ubuntu, but I have seen similar problems
with Debian, so I think this isn't something distribution-specific, but
rather something I should ask here.

When using Microsoft's "Core Fonts" with TFT RGB subpixel-rendering, I
often get oversized "O"s - their height is bigger than the other
characters in the same line. Here are some examples:

(These are headlines from spiegel.de, a German news site, rendered with
Firefox. If I understand the CSS correctly, this is the Verdana Truetype
font.)

http://www.hanno.de/kram/big-o.png

And here is a zoomed version that explains the problem:

http://www.hanno.de/kram/big-o-zoom.png

I am really irritated by this, as these oversized "O"s really stand out
from the rest of the page's text.

Anything I can do about it?

Best regards,

Hanno