[ft] face->size->metrics.max_advance should not be used?

From: Chia I Wu
Subject: [ft] face->size->metrics.max_advance should not be used?
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 15:56:45 +0800

Hi,

I am reading the part II of the tutorial and in section 3.b, it says
face->size->metrics.height is the only field of face->size->metrics one
should really use. In other words, it says
face->size->metrics.max_advance should not be used. But then how should
one render equally-spaced string?

I have this question because I imagined that this is done by rendering
each glyph and advancing the pen position by, instead of the glyph's
advance width, face's max advance width. If this is not the case, then
what should be used as the common advance width?

olv