Re: [ft] Telling if a font has TrueType outlines

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] Telling if a font has TrueType outlines
Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 12:14:30 +0200 (CEST)

> I wish to embed the font in a PDF file as a "TrueType" or a
> "CIDFontType2" (also TrueType), which requires it to be a TrueType
> font with TrueType outlines.
>
> As far as I know, this rules out PostScript fonts with TrueType
> outlines and also TrueType fonts with PostScript outlines (OTF
> fonts).

While the latter is true, the former isn't correct.  From
5012.Type42_Spec.pdf:

  A Type 42 font dictionary contains the TrueType font embedded as a
  string value for the sfnts keyword.  For single-byte Roman TrueType
  fonts, the sfnts array typically contains the complete TrueType
  font.

The specification later on mentions which TrueType tables must be
present.  With other words, it should be fairly easy to extract the
TrueType font from a Type42 resource.