Re: [Freetype] GTK 1.x truetype font rendering gone bad with Xorg (FC2)

From: Andre Costa
Subject: Re: [Freetype] GTK 1.x truetype font rendering gone bad with Xorg (FC2)
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 20:42:17 -0300

Hi Owen, thks for jumpin' in =)

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 15:58:10 -0400
Owen Taylor <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 18:37, Andre Costa wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > sorry to bring it up again, but... no clues about what can be
> > causing this font rendering weirdness?
>
> Most likely you had a custom build of FreeType installed on
> Fedora Core 1 with the TrueType interpreter enabled. The
> autohinter does a good job with grayscale, not so good with
> bilevel rendering.

Mmh... I do remember once playing with a hacked Xt library, but I
believe this was back on RH 8 or 9 IIRC, when TTF and X11 woud only mix
through bold hacks; I really don't believe this would have survived all
the upgrades up to FC1.

Despite that, if I got what you're saying right it means that:

1. FC2 FreeType doesn't come with TrueType intepreter enabled

2. it could be rebuilt with this option enabled, which would allow me to
see TTF properly on GTK 1.x apps

Are the above assumptions right?

BTW: thank you very much for offering me a silver lining, I was about to
give up (so far, I have posted this question on 5 different forums...)

TIA

Andre

PS: Man, you really lost me with all that "bilevel rendering" talk =)

--
Andre Oliveira da Costa