Re: [Freetype] font file

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Freetype] font file
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 14:29:35 +0200 (CEST)

> I have japanese font file MSGOTHIC.TTC.  With this fontfile, I can
> select font style regular, italic and bold italic in MS-Word
> processor.

Yes, MS-Word (or rather, MS Windows) creates slanted and bold styles,
but msgothic itself doesn't contain them.

> I think it is also possible to create a FT_Face to get a required
> font style's character image or outline.  Am I right?

Slanted is rather easy (but quite ugly for CJK scripts); just apply a
shearing transformation.  To make a face bold can be done with
FreeType also -- have a look into ftsynth.c (this code is still
experimental).