[Freetype] Pango or Freetype and some other questions!!

From: 786
Subject: [Freetype] Pango or Freetype and some other questions!!
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 14:58:03 +0500

Hello,

Long long time ago there was this conversation....(read below if you have
time).

Well I had a small question in mind. But first consider this Mr Lemberg said
that "not aware of any parts of the substitution specification that the
PANGO CODE (or that matter the opentype code), doesn't implement" (Note the
capital PANGO)

" What about the new GSUB lookup type 8?  AFAIK, this is specifically
for Urdu.  Have you added it to to PANGO?" (Note the capital PANGO)

Well what I don't understand is why are we calling it Pango code? Shouldn't
it be freetype's code (ftxgsub.c in freetype package)? Pango uses this code
after some initial 'script specific processing' when it actually applies the
rules on 'tagged' input string. So this does not make it pango code. As a
result when we talk about adding GSUB type 8 don't we actually mean in
ftxgsub.c.

>> Have you added it to to PANGO?"
So shouldn't it be the freetype guys who should be thinking about adding it?
And if it does have to be added then it's right in the OT code in pango
where other types are implemented.

Another question: Say for the moment 'All the GSUB tables has been
implemented' is there a any list of which features have so far been
implemented. Is calt implemented? I have pango-1.2.5 & Freetype-current,
this does not?

And finally Pango-1.2.5 does not implement calt, that's no problem..it can
easily be added and tested in gedit. Calt uses the LookupType 6: Chaining
Contextual Substitution in ftxgsub.c. But there seem to be some problem; the
calt rules listed in the font do not seem to apply at some instances. Now
this could either be the problem with my gedit/linux or with the lookuptype
6's implementation. Can Freetype's team allow me to please discuss this
problem with them offline?

Thanks

Aamir