[Freetype] kerning problem

From: Alexander R. Pruss
Subject: [Freetype] kerning problem
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 08:46:51 -0400

Looking through the archives, I came across a post about FT_Get_Kerning()
"not working".  Nobody in the thread had any useful suggestions.  I have
exactly the same problem.  Even though the font supports kerning (MS's Times
New Roman), FT_Get_Kerning() always returns a zero vector.

I've done some testing.  Here's some further info:
  1. problem seems to occur for all TT files that I've tried
  2. FT_Get_Kerning() returns no error (0)
  3. FT_Get_Kerning() works just fine with the same test code but a
.pfb/.afm font pair
  4. I have the patented TT hinting code turned off and am using autohinting
(with which I am VERY happy, by the way).  I wonder if there is some bug (or
feature?) whereby when one disables the patented hinting code, one loses TT
kerning.  I can't check if the problem occurs with the hinting enabled,
because that might be an infringement.

Alex

--
Dr. Alexander R. Pruss