Re: [Freetype] Compiling on the Texas DSP

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Compiling on the Texas DSP
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 20:50:46 +0200 (CEST)

[FreeType 2.1.7]

> Some warnings were issued regarding shift counts being too large
> (e.g <long variable> = <char variable> << 24).Fixed by casting.

Please send a log of the compiler warnings for further inspection.

> The smallest types on this Texas unit are 16 bits in size. Chars are
> 16 bits in size.  Sizeof a char is returned as 1, size of a long is
> returned as 2.

How did you configure FreeType?  In ftconfig.h there is a test using
FT_ULONG_MAX to find out the size of a long.  Theoretically your
compilation process should abort because `long' has to be >= 4.

What actually is a 4-byte wide type on your platform?  `long long'?

> case 4: here is used to store UInt32 values into the structure.  On
> a DSP the sizeof a long is returned as 2 and hence long values are
> stored using case 2: .  Data is lost and the font header is assumed
> corrupt.

Thanks for investigating.

> I can fix this problem but would like to know if anyone has tried to
> compile to the Texas DSP compilers before.  I would like to know how
> many problems I am likely to encounter because of this Sizeof
> peculiarity.

If you can provide a 4-byte entity no problems should happen.
Otherwise you have to find solutions by yourself -- we could
integrate them perhaps.