Re: [Freetype] Solaris 2.9 link problems

From: Thomas Hedler
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Solaris 2.9 link problems
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 12:41:36 +0200

Sorry for replying to my own mail. The hint from Werner was not so bad!
I recognized, that the file ftglyph.o is not build and linked to the libfreetype.a!

Doing all steps manually it worked!!

Thank you!
I'm not sure what is the cause for this behaviour. Maybe somebody
with more knowledge can dig a little bit more?

C U
 Thomas

Thomas Hedler wrote:

Hi Werner!

thank you for your reply.
But this seems to be not the problem. Snip from src/base/rules.mk
(freetype-2.1.7):

[..]
# Base layer `extensions' sources
#
# An extension is added to the library file (.a or .lib) as a separate
# object. It will then be linked to the final executable only if one of its
# symbols is used by the application.
#
BASE_EXT_SRC := $(BASE_DIR)/ftglyph.c  \
               $(BASE_DIR)/ftmm.c     \
               $(BASE_DIR)/ftbdf.c    \
               $(BASE_DIR)/fttype1.c  \
               $(BASE_DIR)/ftxf86.c   \
               $(BASE_DIR)/ftpfr.c    \
               $(BASE_DIR)/ftstroke.c \
               $(BASE_DIR)/ftwinfnt.c \
               $(BASE_DIR)/ftbbox.c

[..]

Another tip maybe?

Regards
Thomas

Werner LEMBERG wrote:

I'm currently trying to compile KDE3.2 for Solaris 2.9.
But I have problems to link the libfreetype.so-lib, because always I
get the error message that the symbols FT_Done_Glyph, FT_Get_Glyph
and FT_Matrix_Invert are not referenced in the lib and using nm I
can prove this. These are all unreferenced symbols.

This looks like a bug in the Solaris KDE makefiles for FreeType.  They
apparently have forgotten to include the file `ftglyph.c'.  Have a
look into src/base/rules.mk, variable `BASE_EXT_SRC'.