Re: [Freetype] Compiling 2.1.7 on Mac OS X

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Compiling 2.1.7 on Mac OS X
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 11:05:09 +0100 (CET)

> The error is in the source file ftmac.c, which includes a
> Mac-specific header using 'inline' keywords by default.  The problem
> comes from the -ansi switch to gcc, as Garrick Meeker has recently
> reported, which causes gcc not to recognize 'inline'.

> The simple solution is to change builds/unix/configure to not use
> -ansi if $host matches *-apple*.  However it would be a shame to
> disable -ansi for the whole build; do you know how to tweak the
> builds/unix makefile so that only ftmac.c is built without -ansi?  I
> guess it would have to be separated out from ftbase.c in that
> case...

Various possibilities come to my mind, to be applied to ftmac.c rather
than the makefile:

  . Redefine `OS_INLINE' to be `__inline__'.  This survives even gcc's
    -ansi switch.

  . Redefine `OS_INLINE' to be a no-op.

  . Compile FreeType with g++.  `inline' is a normal keyword then.  [I
    regularly test whether FreeType really builds with g++.]