Re: [Freetype] Tahoma sub-pixel off in 2.1.4 and CVS?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Tahoma sub-pixel off in 2.1.4 and CVS?
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 08:07:44 +0100 (CET)

> I guess our tastes differ, then.  Your rendering is identical to mine.
> The chroma-noisy 'a' and 'w', the thin diagonals of the 'K' and the fat
> 'A' are all peeves to me - especially when compared to the ClearType
> version, which is not as black, but is otherwise superior IMHO.
>
> I guess subpixel rendering is a black art!

I believe that it really depends on the used filters.  FreeType
doesn't use a filter at all, so the results are not good.  You should
contact Keith Packard (in case he doesn't read this thread) for help.
Again: There may be a bug in the FreeType code, but we need more
evidence for it (and probably a guy who is willing to debug the code).