Re: [Freetype] freetype2 in vlc

From: Sigmund . Augdal
Subject: Re: [Freetype] freetype2 in vlc
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2003 16:00:10 +0200

On Sun, Aug 03, 2003 at 01:08:10PM +0200, Michael Pfeiffer wrote:
> Hi Sigmund,
>
> >1: How do I set the default font? I whould like this to work out of the box
> >on at least windows, linux, mac os x and BeOS, preferably without having the
> >user telling me what font to use. Do anyone know some way to find good
> >default fonts on various OSes?
>
> Why not include a free distributalbe font with vlc?
> So you don't have to worry where to find a system font
> on each supported platform.
We found a solution for this, at least on windows, mac os x and beos. Linux
is still to go.

What whould be even cooler whould be some way to get from a native (platform
dependant) font identifier string (as returned by the font dialog) to a
freetype face object. A small wrapper api to do this whould be really cool.

> Can help with your second question, besides that I think you will
> find a solution in the mailing list archive.
I can't seem to find and good mailing list archive on freetype.org. The best
I could find was gmane.comp.fonts.freetype.users at gmane.org, but I didn't
find any useful info there, parhaps it doesn't go long enough back.

Sigmund