[Freetype] Re: XFree86 to ship in Mac OS X [fwd]

From: Juliusz Chroboczek
Subject: [Freetype] Re: XFree86 to ship in Mac OS X [fwd]
Date: 27 Jun 2003 15:22:56 +0200

Nicholas probably meant to say ``claimed patent'' where he said ``patent''.

                                        Juliusz

From: Nicholas Wourms <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: XFree86 to ship in Mac OS X
To: address@hidden
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 19:15:26 -0400

David Dawes wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 05:16:16PM -0700, Torrey Lyons wrote:
>
>> As some of you may have heard.... Apple has announced that XFree86
>> will be included in its next major Mac OS X release, code named
>> Panther. <http://www.apple.com/macosx/panther/> This is a major
>> milestone following Apple's previous announcement that they would
>> be supporting XFree86 on the platform. In the future, every Mac and
>> Mac OS X boxed set will include XFree86, which represents a great
>> increase in XFree86's distribution and hopefully visibility.
> That's great news Torrey!  It should definitely do a lot to increase
> and broaden the X and XFree86 user base and presence.  Your efforts and
> those of others involved in this are highly appreciated.
> FreeBSD (my favourite OS), now XFree86, plus Apple's UI...  I really
> need to get a Mac that can run this stuff... :-)

David,

Not that I'm trying to tell you what to do, but someone @XFree86
really ought talk with Apple about waiving their patent claim over
FreeType's bytecode interpreter.  Seeing as how they are directly
benefitting from XFree86, perhaps they should give back to the XFree86
community...

Cheers,
Nicholas