Re: [Freetype] Opening one font causes distortion of another

From: Wenlin Institute
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Opening one font causes distortion of another
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2003 07:26:18 -0700

At 9:24 AM +0200 6/3/03, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
Is the problem still there if you use the current CVS?  I don't have
those fonts so I can't debug it myself.  Have you been able to verify
whether autohinting is indeed the problem?

With 2.1.4, the discrepency disappeared when FT_LOAD_NO_HINTING was specified for FT_Load_Glyph(). Interestingly, the bitmap produced with hinting turned off was different from both of the bitmaps produced with hinting turned on.

With the current code (June 5: unstable/freetype2-current.tar.gz), the discrepency has disappeared regardless of FT_LOAD_NO_HINTING. And, the hinted bitmap is identical to the unhinted bitmap.

Unfortunately, there's a decrease in rasterizing quality between 2.1.4 and the current code. For comparison, I've put a small PDF with samples at this URL:

   http://www.wenlin.com/ft_diff.pdf

2.1.4 did a better job with both the Chinese and the roman text. The current code makes the Chinese blurry regardless of autohinting, and it makes the roman terrible with autohinting on. With autohinting off, the roman isn't so bad, but it's still not as good as with 2.1.4 and autohinting on. (These are both TrueType fonts -- the Chinese one is mssong.ttf, from Microsoft, and the roman one is modified from the S-Garamond from www.rubicon.ca. Patented TrueType hinting is not enabled.)

By the way, in the current code, ftmac.c won't compile due to an undeclared variable "rlen" in the function FT_New_Face_From_SFNT(). Maybe it should be "sfnt_size", but I simply replaced ftmac.c with the 2.1.4 version in order to compile the library.

Tom Bishop

--

Wenlin Institute, Inc.        Software for Learning Chinese
E-mail: address@hidden     Web: http://www.wenlin.com